First off I need to confess that I am not a fan of alot of the diet advice out there, most of which makes healthy eating out to be this miserable, joyless ordeal. I believe that counting calories, denying myself treats and obsessing about food is a complete waste of time. Eating healthy doesn’t have to conflict with eating well, as long as you follow a few healthy diet tips. Here are my Top 7 Healthy Diet Tips to help you eat better:
1) Don’t focus on calorie counting and depriving yourself of the foods you enjoy. Instead focus on choosing foods that nourish your body, give you energy and make you feel good.
2) Keep a positive food journal where you keep track of all the healthy things you eat – make it your goal to fill your journal each day!
3) Indulge in small, healthy snacks throughout the day like carrot sticks and hummus, rice crackers with cucumber slices, popcorn with olive oil and nutritional yeast, or apple slices with a little almond butter.
4) When you go to the fridge to grab a snack, check in with your belly – is it really hungry or is the hunger in your mind?
5) Stay mindful of how your stomach feels as you are eating. When you feel full, put down your fork. Refrigerate your leftovers and finish them later when you are hungry again.
6) Cut out all sugary soft drinks – replace with carbonated water and lime juice with mint leaves or other fruit slices or berries.
7) If you get a sweet tooth in the evenings, try drinking tea with licorice or cinnamon in it – the natural sweetness curbs cravings for desserts.
Try working these 7 Healthy Diet Tips into your daily life and you will notice what a difference they make in the long run.