This salad is a complete meal in itself, making it a perfect dinner on a hot Summer evening….and the leftovers make a great lunch!
1 cup quinoa or bulgur
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
5 green onions, chopped OR 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
generous handful of parsley, chopped
1 can olives, drained and finely sliced (optional)
1 cup (or slightly less) crumbled feta
1 lemon (juice and grated rind)
1/2 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
cracked black pepper, to taste
1) If using quinoa – bring 1 cup quinoa and two cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Cover saucepan and turn heat to low for 15 min.
If using bulgur – place 1 cup bulgur in a bowl and pour 2 cups boiling water overtop – stir and cover while you make the rest of the salad (20-30 min). You may need to drain any excess water before adding to the salad.
2) Grate the peel of about half the lemon, using a zester and then juice it and place in a bowl – add olive oil, crushed garlic and cracked pepper and mix well – set aside.
3) Chop up the red pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives, parsley and feta and throw it all together in a large salad bowl.
4) Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas and add to the salad.
5) Add the quinoa or bulgur and then mix well with the dressing.